Depression and Anxiety Group for Women (open group)
Every Tuesday at 7pm
This is a group for women ages 18 and older (no high school students please). In this group clients have the opportunity (but are not required) to process past and current situations, build trust, and practice vulnerability.
Each week consists of:
- Giving clients the opportunity to process current problems or situations with the group.
- Learn and practice a new depression or anxiety coping skill.
- Report progress with using the skill taught the previous week.
Parenting Class (closed group)
This is an 8 week class for parents who want to adopt a positive and effective parenting program, and for parents who are struggling with their children’s behaviors. This class will help parents learn and practice effective parenting skills to teach children respect, responsibility, social skills, and develop a strong and positive relationships with their children.
This class is available for parents to attend together or for one parent to attend alone. However, it is recommended that parents attend together, to make it easier to understand and implement the step-by-step teaching interactions that are taught. Consistency is very important, for the teaching interactions that you will learn in class to work effectively with your children.
This class is based on the Teaching Family Model parenting method, and will use the book “Common Sense Parenting” by Ray Burke, Ph.D., Ron Herron and Bridget A. Barnes, M.S.
Some of the topics taught in this class will include:
- 4 step-by step teaching interactions to use with children - we will be practice these steps during class
- Clear communication
- Effective consequences
- The importance of praise
- Preventing problem behaviors
- Correcting misbehavior
- Teaching children self-control
- Staying calm
- Teaching children decision making and problem solving skills
- Teaching children social skills
- Following instructions
- Accepting “no” for an answer
- Disagreeing appropriately
Kids (7-12 year-olds) Social Skills Class (closed group)
This is an 8-week group that coincides with the parenting group. The children will learn something similar to what the parents are learning in the week. Children do not have to have a parent in the parenting class to attend but do need to commit to the 8 week program. Some of the things being taught are; How to accept "no" for an answer, How to accept consequences, How to follow instructions and How to control our emotions. These lessons are based off of social skills taught by Boys Town and kids attending the group will be able to discuss what they learn and do work sheets that aid in learning.
Adolescent Girls DBT Skills Group (open group)
Every Thursday at 6pm
Do you or someone you know experience any of the following symptoms?
- A pattern of unstable and intense relationships
- Recurrent suicidal behaviors and threats, cutting or harm to self
- Intense and unstable moods and difficulty regulating emotions
- Chronic feelings of emptiness, depressed moods
- Impulsive behaviors
- Intense anger and difficulty controlling anger
We offer a therapy group that focuses on Dialectical Behavior Therapy skills which include:
- Emotion Regulation
- Relational Skills
- Distress Tolerance
Hold Me Tight - Couples Workshop (closed group)
An 8-week workshop for couples, based on Dr. Sue Johnson's 7 conversations for connection:
- Week 1: Introduction to Hold Me Tight
- Week 2: Recognizing the Demon Dialogues
- Week 3: Finding the Raw Spots
- Week 4: Revisiting a Rocky Moment
- Week 5: Hold Me Tight: Engaging and Connecting
- Week 6: Forgiving Injuries
- Week 7: Bonding Through Sex and Touch
- Week 8: Keeping Your Love Alive
The Hold Me Tight Workshop was developed by Dr. Sue Johnson and is designed around seven conversations based on the Hold Me Tight book, all of which have been shown to be essential to successful relations. You will learn how to understand and improve your relationship through presentations by the workshop leaders, private exercises and conversations with your partner and by watching video demonstrations of other couples.